From Demetrius
Here is a message Demetrius posted in the Blog for America comments earlier today:
Guess who called to wish me Happy Birthday? Howard Dean! The *real* Howard Dean as he made a point to say. Well, it sounded like him. If it wasn't him then they should put that impersonator on staff!
Yes, I was surprised and elated. He called late enough in the morning that I was already starting to get into the mundane tasks of the day. - He's considerate enough to understand that I might not be up before 10:am. ;) - I knew it was not a dream. But, it was kind of a surreal experience - if surreal straddles the border between real and unreal. You just don't expect to have any direct contact with national figures. Yet, here I was - on the phone with the doctor who pounded on the chest of the Democratic party until it's heart started beating again. He said "Happy Birthday and thanks for all you've done for the campaign and for DFA." I think I managed a "No... Thank *you*." The fact that he recognizes and appreciates our contributions is an expression of what sets him apart from politicians-as-usual. This is part of why so many are willing to do so much to further his (our) cause. The fact that he is honest and dead-on RIGHT about so many things is another. There was so much I wanted to say. But, I couldn't begin to think of where to start. I wish I had said in response to his "thank you" that "that's what happens when people are truly inspired" - with some sort of admonition for John Kerry to get on the stick inspiration-wise. I didn't want to launch into politics. That's not why he called. I didn't want to keep him. I know he's busy. The conversation was short. But, it was a moment to... ok... what's another word for "cherish"? (I like to consider myself more of an *enabler* than Crushie, proper...) OK... It was a moment to put in a big, heavy, masculine, metal box with a heavy duty padlock and protect from vandals with serious artillery. :)
What a great gift - on top of all the gifts he's already given us as a community and a movement. It is really amazing that he knows who we are. (He at least knows *that* we are.) I don't expect to be on his speed dial. But, I certainly appreciate the call! I suspect it took some special finagling on the part of more than a few people to make it happen. Renee apparently spearheaded this. (He got my number from *somewhere*.) She even managed to put together this birthday web page (click) *literally* behind my back - without me being aware of it. Thank you to her and everyone else who helped make this special birthday gift happen!


1 Comments:
Demetrius,
I guess I am a day late but wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday. I had mine on August 3rd.
You have done some really great work for DFA with outstanding graphics and fun posts on the blog. Hopefully I will meet Renee and you one day.
Say, how do you get the advertisements to not show up on your blogger web page? Do you have to pay for that? I have some blogs but they all have the advertising up top.
Anyway, you will have to blog on how your birthday went. I don't get to read the DFA blog much anymore, but I do still read the Crushie email where Renee posted about this site.
Hope you had a great one.
Cheryl
Post a Comment
<< Home